Cannot embed media source. You can view it here.
CONTINUING THE CONVERSATION
1. When the angel Gabriel comes to Mary in verse 26, she is “greatly troubled” (v. 29) What is it about his greeting that troubles her and why?
2. At first, Mary questions Gabriel (“How will this be...?). Eventually she says, “I am the Lord’s servant” (v. 38). Mary says yes to God. What do you think caused her to say yes?
3. In Luke 1 (v. 42-44), Mary’s relative praises her, but Mary deflects that praise back to God in her song known as the Magnificat (for the Latin word in v. 46, “glorifies”). How does Mary make that shift?
4. Do you believe God speaks to people? Have you ever received a message from God (through scripture, prayer, an inner experience, etc.)? If so, how did you respond? If not, what do you think you would do?
5. God is constantly communicating to us to take up our cross and follow him (Luke 9:23). What would a yes to him mean for you during this Advent season?