What is the most vivid dream you can remember having?
Understanding the Story
1. Read verse 20. How is the way the angel addresses Joseph connected to verses 1-17? Now read Isaiah 7:13-14. Why is fulfillment of prophecy so important in understanding who Jesus is?
2. What is the significance of the virgin birth and conception by the Holy Spirit? How might this be proof that Jesus is the Messiah?
3. Compare Matthew 1:23 to Matthew 28:20. Discuss why you think Matthew began and ended his gospel with the news that God is with us.
LIVING THE STORY
1. After Joseph’s dream, he woke up with a completely new perspective on life. What would it take for you to fully embrace the reality that Jesus is our one true hope and salvation? Share your answers with the group.
2. Is it hard for you to believe that God is always with us? How would your life look differently if you were aware that Jesus is present with you throughout your day?
3. How can we remind one another that Jesus truly is with us every moment, every day? Share your thoughts with the group.